Barcelona’s excellent transport system makes it easy for everybody, even tourists, and newcomers, to get around the city. The city’s transportation network extends from the city center to other parts of the metropolitan area and to surrounding towns and cities. But, what makes Barcelona unique is the variety of alternatives available. You can get around the city by car or by bike!

Metro – Train – Bus

The Barcelona metro system is the easiest and fastest way to get around. Moreover, all the metro/train exits are close to bus stops. You can use the same card for all three of this options.

Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona (TMB) offers a wide range of travel cards to suit different needs. There are single tickets, transferable travel cards valid for 10 rides and personal travel cards valid for one, 30 and 90 days. There are also tourist and leisure tickets and special travel cards for students, families, and seniors. Transport fares also vary by zone. The farther out from the city center you go, the more expensive the fare. Tickets and travel cards can be purchased at subway ticket booths and vending machines.

The metro network currently has 11 lines. It is jointly run by TMB and the Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya (FGC). TMB operates Metro lines 1 to 5 and 9 to 11 while the FGC operates FGC lines 6 to 8. The FGC system has lines within Barcelona and others that go to nearby towns and cities, such as Manresa, Terrassa and Sabadell.


Bicing bikes were envisioned to cut down on car traffic. By paying an annual fee of €47, members of Bicing get a card that gives them access to the terminals placed all over the city. The first 30 minutes are included in the fee, but if you exceed that time limit, you’ll have to pay 73 cents for every extra half hour. The bikes cannot be used for more than two hours in one journey, and once you’ve arrived at your destination, you must leave it at the nearest terminal.

Unfortunately, this opportunity is only available for residents of the city.

More information: Bicing website


If you are from EU, it is not obligatory to exchange your license for a Spanish license. However, it’s possible if you wish to do so. All you have to do is register with the Spanish traffic authorities and undergo a simple medical examination.

If you are living in Spain for more than six months, you must register your car with the Spanish authorities. You also will have to change your license plates to Spanish plates.

To start the register process, you will have to pass a control test, also known as the Inspección Técnica de Vehículos. To apply for this test, you will need the following documentation:

  • The vehicle’s technical specifications provided by manufacturer or representative (translated)
  • A copy and the original receipt of payment of duty
  • The purchase receipt of the car
  • The car’s registration papers.

Afterward, you will receive a Tarjeta de Inspección Técnica.

Cars owned for more than six months prior to their entry in Spain are not subject to Spanish tax.

For more information